NERF Repaint Project
In a fit of age-inappropriate passion I acquired, sanded, disassembled, and repainted a NERF Strongarm blaster. For yucks, really. Also, the design team and I were having fun having the occasional NERF battle around the office bullpen...until we were asked to please not have NERF in the office.
It's still good for: looking neat, killing bugs that have landed on walls, and making a noise that scares a cat.
I have to say, it was very fun and meditative to sand and resurface all that soft plastic! Oh, and I love spray painting things. Features of note:
- removed all NERF branding and some extraneous nubs and surface details
- fell in love with automotive spray paint (the gunmetal grey color is a beautiful, durable finish)
- replaced darts with 3rd party black/orange numbers
- added Plasti-Dip spray along grip and barrel for extra grabbability
- added distressed effects using silver/gold paint markers to cover paint mistakes (highly recommended!)
- added insulation to inside in order to muffle noise when firing (minimal or no effect)